Upcoming Fixtures

Folkestone Invicta
0 vs 0

Hastings United

Isthmian Premier Division

Tue 16th Aug 2022

Kick off - 19:45

Folkestone Invicta
0 vs 0

Wingate & F

Isthmian Premier Division

Sat 20th Aug 2022

Kick off - 15:00

Latest Scores

Enfield T.
1 vs 1

Folkestone Invicta

Isthmian Premier Division

Sat 13th Aug 2022

Full time

Folkestone Invicta
4 vs 2

Ashford Utd.


Sun 7th Aug 2022

Full time

Invicta Lottery

Click here to support today Licensed Lottery, Folkestone & Hythe District No. 008

Total raised from supporters

  • £20,500
  • £21,000
  • £21,500
  • £22,000

Donate to Folkestone Invicta FC



Folkestone Invicta went out of the FA Cup as high-flying Margate eventually broke their resistance in Tuesday night’s First Qualifying Round replay at Hartsdown Park.

Neil Cugley’s side again made life difficult for Terry Brown’s star-studded men but it is Margate who progress to meet Barton Rovers at home in the Second Qualifying Round.

Luke Moore gave the home side a 15th minute lead but Margate resident Joe Taylor - pictured -soon equalised in the 24th minute with his first Invicta goal.

John Beales restored Margate’s lead from the home side’s only corner of the night just before half time and Zac Attwood made it 3-1 as the home side had the better of the second half.

The team news had seen Margate without captain Charlie Allen (groin) who was on the substitutes’ bench, whilst Invicta had Paul Booth back from a groin injury to replace Ian Draycott (ankle).

In the early exchanges, a third minute Attwood shot flashed just past the post when the ball broke to the striker on the left hand side of the penalty area, while Jon Pilbeam shot over from the right at the other end two minutes later.

Taylor was close with a header wide on his return to Hartsdown Park when Josh Vincent played a 14th minute ball in from the right.


But Margate opened the scoring a minute later when finally beating Invicta’s offside trap to allow MOORE to chip the ball over Tim Roberts and into the net from the left hand side of the penalty area.

Pilbeam ran at the Margate defence and short wide of the far post across goal in the 24th minute. And Invicta were soon level when TAYLOR headed in from close range after Vincent had headed the ball back in a minute later after a Pilbeam cross from the left had come back out to Jordan Wright.

The visitors were clearly going to give this a real go and Taylor ran on and hit a low shot at goalkeeper Nikki Bull after receiving the ball from Wright two minutes later.

Margate like to bring their full backs into play and a low Jack Bennett shot from the edge of the penalty area was saved by Roberts when Moore and Kane Wills worked the ball out to the left.

The home side had to replace goalkeeper Bull in the 29th minute after he had been involved in an earlier collision and on came Tom Beadle.

A 33rd minute Tom Phipp shot was blocked by Invicta captain Liam Friend when Ryan Moss played the ball in from the left in a move that also involved Wills and Bennett.

Pilbeam then drilled a low shot wide at the other end after Wright had won the ball in midfield a minute later.

It was end-to-end as the Invicta defence held firm after Moore played the ball in to Phipp and Pilbeam had two shots charged down after running at the home defence.

Phipp was booked for a heavy late challenge on Wright in the 38th minute that was mis-timed rather than malicious, though the youngster did him a favour by getting straight up.

Beadle got down to touch a 43rd minute Vincent shot past the post for a corner as Invicta worked the ball from left to right.

But Margate’s first and only corner was to prove more significant as the ball squirmed off Roberts when Moore took it on and shot after a ball over the Invicta defence.

Bennett’s 44th minute corner on the right was headed in by defender BEALES.

The final corner count of 9-1 in Invicta’s favour highlighted the part that the visitors had again played in this tie.

A half time substitution saw Margate bring Jason Prior on for Luke Williams. Prior was amongst the best that Invicta had come against at Ryman League Division One South level during his Bognor days before injury curtailed his professional career at AFC Wimbledon but the striker had lost his goalscoring touch in the two ties played here.

Up a gear

As in Saturday’s goalless draw at Folkestone, Margate stepped up a gear after the interval.

Wills shot just high and wide when he turned and shot from outside the penalty area in the 55th minute and Roberts saved from Moss after a move down the right a minute later.

Margate broke after an Invicta corner in the 58th minute as Wills found Moss on the right but Roberts held the low ball across goal.

Prior then fired high and wide as the pressure continued.

The third and potentially decisive Margate goal came in the 63rd minute when Bennett found Moore and his cross from the right was headed in by ATTWOOD.

Bennett then cut in from the left a minute later but his shot was blocked by Micheal Everitt.

Everitt was involved at the other end in the 66th minute when he headed a Darren Smith corner from the left hand side wide.

Bennett shot wide after combining with Prior and Prior himself then fired wastefully over again in the 69th minute after being found by Bennett.

Prior could not convert a dangerous low ball across goal from Moore in the 72nd minute and then headed over.

Invicta central defender Frankie Chappell did well to clear in the 74th minute when the ball came in from the right hand side in a move involving Bennett, Moore and Phipp.

Evertt then blocked another shot after another dangerous Margate move involving oss, Moore, Wills and Attwood.

Invicta refused to give up and a well-struck shot from Pilbeam - pictured left - was deflected past the post for another corner in the 78th minute.

Invicta substitute Dane Luchford shot wide of the target a minute later when a Smith cross from the right came out to him on the left.

It turned out to be Luchford’s last game as the club announced his release the following day.

An 82nd minute Pilbeam shot dipped just over the crossbar, while Moss headed a Bennett cross from the left at Roberts a minute later.

The final chance of the night went to Invicta as substitute Connor Coyne headed wide when he got good contact to a Smith corner from the left.

Margate have a strong enough side to go a low way in this season’s F. A. Cup – if they do they will recall Coyne’s late chance at Folkestone on Saturday that they survived after themselves missing numerous chances to have settled the tie at the first time of asking.

Invicta’s first two defeats of this season have now come in Thanet, although this was one was more expected and the performance better than the 2-0 league reverse at Ramsgate.

MARGATE: Bull (Beadle 28 mins), Riviere (Cash 80 mins), Bennett, Williams (Prior 45 mins), Wassmer, Beales, Phipp, Wills, Moss, Attwood, Moore.  Unused subs: Allen, Stuart. 

FOLKESTONE INVICTA: Roberts, Vincent, Blanks, Friend, Chappell, Pilbeam, Wright, Smith, Taylor (Coyne 79 mins), Booth (Luchford 72 mins), M Everitt.  Unused subs: Edge, Palmer, Fender.

Attendance: 572.

Corners: Margate 1 Folkestone Invicta 9